Thursday, March 20, 2008

PRELUDE TO THE DRY SEASON.


We all know that there are four seasons in a calendar year. Some might even remember the poem 'Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring...'. It's amazing that seasons depend on one's geographical place. For example; for those of us from Africa, we are only familiar with just two seasons. Rainy and cold. 'Summer is rainy and winter is cold.' The other two are just minor seasons which we usually do not pay much attention to: 'Spring and fall.'

When I first came to the States I asked about the rainy season and to my amazement my uncle told me," Here there is no rainy season." I said, "What do you mean there is no rainy season?" He replied "It can rain any time of the year." For those of us in North America, yesterday was the first day of spring. I know little about spring, other than the fact that it comes before summer.

I also know that farmers do their planting in the spring. One thing for sure, I know that winter is gone until somebody tells me that it's fall again. To many this is the season to get out of the house and enjoy outdoor life. Fishing, golf and car racing for the rich. Their options are not limited. To us its just a time when we can go to the park and play with kids, buy ice cream if its a good day. Some will have family barbecues or family cookouts. We welcome spring and may we all enjoy the goodness of the season.

No comments: