Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Staying relavant and focused




At the top of all things that I do be it at home, at work or even at church, the most important question I ask myself is. "Am I relevant?  I  have lived  long  enough  to know that in many spheres of life, there are some things that we do but are not very relevant. I use the word relevant to mean "meaningful, direct and effective at a desired goal" This is not the Webster's dictionary meaning of the word, or at least any other English dictionary for that matter.

Having said that, I must first and foremost apologize for being away from a my desk for a long time. I was away for a over a month and a half. the last time I was away that long was a little over two years ago when my youngest son Ayanda was born. He is now a big boy now, I cannot believe how fast time flies. As  you already know by now that all my activities are centered on family. I remember an incident that happened one time when my first born Themba, was a little baby. It so happened that I was used to going around with him wherever I went. The lonely 325 BMW that I had bough for myself as a present suddenly became a family car. I became an expert in turning my head and talking to my son who would be buckled tight on his baby car sit while I was driving. It so happened that one day I had to go to another side of town, and my wife did not want me to go with the young guy. He must have been around three month or so. Every where I went they used to call me a man with a baby. Ubaba olomtwana! Its not common for a man from the "mother land" to be so close with a little one.

There were guys who literally reminded me that they had kids too. It must have bothered them seeing me with a baby everywhere I went. I took him to church, men's meetings, soccer matches, funeral gatherings and in other social activities. Well to cut along story short, after I had driven by myself for about three miles, I turned my head back and as usual trying to talk to the little guy. He was not there! For moment I was alarmed, then I remembered that I left him home with his mom. To this day I have never felt so lonely on a thirty minutes ride like that day. Life with kids is different. My red BMW two door sport car which was always clean sparkling polished can now be found with a bunch of French fries on the floor, and two grease baby car sits. What a difference fours years can make. My car and clothes do not take priority anymore. Having kids is having life long friends, it surpasses hardships one encounters when raising them.

Through out all this one more thing has survived the test of time. This blog site. It acts as  an exhaust pipe on a car that emits carbon gases out of the system into the environment. I also pray that as I blog, I must be meaningful and directly effective at my goals. I have seen people make surprise parties and give surprise gifts, but the question that usual comes to my mind is that. Sometimes its easy doing exactly the thing that one like or needs most. One might wonder why I have the picture of that duck on the top there. This poor  duck lived friendly in our yard and had eggs, the only problem was that she would cross the road to and from to visit eggs. Her entire friends and family were on the side of a very busy street. She did this for about two days, but our family was concerned about her because we knew it would not end well. We live on a busy street. In Indiana and most other areas in United States motorists are supposed to stop when animals are crossing the road. Most of them practize this rule by day but at night they do not care. So one  morning we found the poor duck lying flat on the road.  Our hearts sunk , because  we knew that she was gone. She left her unborn kids in egg shell. Its been said that the best things in life are not things at all. Moral of the story is life is too short to be irrelevant folks!

No comments: