Sunday, April 22, 2012

Documentary opened my eyes about the struggle!




                                                               South Africa today
                                        ( thanks to national geographic for this wonderful pictorial view)
 
 
Yesterday evening I was moved greatly moved as I was watching a documentary on television about how the people in this (USA) country mobilized themselves to force the Ronald Reagan administration to denounce and cut ties with South African apartheid (oppressive) regime. Many were tortured and jailed for protesting for this cause. Civil leaders College, University students and people from all works of life from the East coast to the west, would make it their own mission to speak against the evil of apartheid in South Africa, until a piece of legislation was passed after more than four years of activism and awareness campaign. They forced great institutions who were supporting the apartheid regime to divest. Ronald Reagan was forced to change the foreign policy.
The arrogant Pretoria regime lost billions of dollars and they crumbled. Coincidental, today as I was doing a job in black customer's house , he kindly asked where I am from and I told him, then he politely asked me why Africans consider them as a "bastard child". (He was very matured kind and very polite, not cussing) He elaborated! We are the same people but yet there seems to be mistrust amongst us why? He said that bothered him a lot.  I looked at him in the eye and said Sir, I know exactly what you are talking about. I think its because we view ourselves in the other people's mirrors. We have never been able to see ourselves for who we are!

I was just amazed why this happened hardly 12hrs after the documentary. I also wish that South Africa school children could get this piece of documentary. It would surely challenge them and widen their view about the world at large. Also people like Bishop desmond Tutu and (mama Africa) Miriam Makeba played an important role outside the country.

No comments: