Monday, July 2, 2012

Growing up under the shadow of Dr Joshua Nkomo!




 Dr Nkomo addressing a rally at White City stadium in Bulawayo in the 80s


There are few leaders in world that can match the calibre of the late nationalist and civil  rights leader Dr Joshua Nkomo. To most of us the late Father Zimbabwe was more than political leader. He was the founder of  a nation.

Many great stories have been told and written about this great man by great orators and commentators. One might wonder why I decided to write my personal account.  Well from as long as I can remember, the late Dr Joshua Mqabuko Nkomo was more than religion itself to my people. older folks spoke respectfully about him. They  knew and understood his ideological teachings by head. I remember when I first opened my eyes as a young boy about Dr Nkomo probably at the age of seven or something like that. Like every child I was trying to be silly, I said something a that belittled Dr Nkomo  just to hear myself talking. I was scolded. It was as If he was  around. My parents were very angry.  I could see it in their eyes that I have crossed the line. From that time onwards, I knew what not to say about Mdala!

My earliest memory of Dr Nkomo was when we were going to his rally in Maboleni in Lower Gweru village around 1979 or there about. We walked the whole  day to get to the rally  but we did not even see him. It turned out that he did not make it the rally for some unknown reason. I would assume he was on a busy schedule since it was an election year. This probably happened twice if my memory serves well.  In all these occasions, there was no clear explanation by the organisers as to why he did show up. I later learned that it might have been for security reasons. We were among thousands who came from different villages and towns just to witness this great man speak. We had walked  a total of over 15 kilometres or so.It did not matter if we were kids, we had to go and hear Nkomo speak. Nobody remained behind. Not with my grandmother 's family!

 It was in those rallies that I first heard the word "Morale or imorali" The morale was high, people were singing all morning and toyitoying up and down tirelessly. They sang song like "Somlandela, somlandela somlandela yena uNkomo wethu" those were the days. Mdala was more revered than a god. There were myths and stories about new babies that were born, and prophesied that Joshua Nkomo was going to be the ruler. That was before Independence. To be continued!

No comments: