Monday, March 4, 2013

Death, dead legend and social networks"


 
If you are a person who actively communicates on social networks this has probably happened to you at one point or another. This morning as I logged onto my face book page, I noticed that a long time friend had a birthday. It is my tradition to acknowledge my friend's birthdays at least those that are on the network . Just as I was trying to post a birthday message on her timeline, I noticed that somebody had previously left a message that read " Our dear friend passed away sometime last month". This was a little bit confusing since other people had good messages written on her wall. Messages like "Enjoy the good days of your life and so on". As I continued scrolling down the timeline, it dawned on me that  this dear friend might have possible passed away. I tried to inbox her but nothing came back. So that confirms my suspicions.

Dead people cannot log on to face book! The saddest thing in all this was the clear fact that not all her friends on the social network knew that she has passed away.  More than seventy percent did not know that. They gladly wished her a happy  day. This is not the first time it has happened to me. If I am not mistaken this is probably the fourth time in my social networks circles. As much as we use these social mediums everyday, we find it hard to comprehend  it when it comes to tough issues such as death. My can only celebrate her life. The scriptures are clear that one day death will be destroyed. We can only pray that, that day is near! Rest in peace Mandlovu!

False alarm

There has been few times somebody either through a mistake or  communication error of any kind accidentally declared another person dead. Worse than that is for one to  publicly announce some body's death through the forums without first informing the next of kin to the deceased. This is the flip side of social networks forums. We usually utilize them for life events, such as celebrating our achievements and birthdays etc. Social networks are changing the way we live, but I do not think we are prepared to  having them as  means of  breaking bad news such as the death of a loved ones. Well the bad news is that, this is the future!

                                     Miriam Makeba

                     GoOgLe's TriBuTe To MaMa aFrICA


I was also reminded that today was Miriam Makeba's birthday, she could have been 81. Google.com had a nice picture of her painted on its front page.What a  moving tribute! I am more than a big fan of Miriam Makeba, I am her student. Few women have commands my respect like her. I feel a deep connection with her songs and her works. She was an icon and an activist.  She spent her life in exile beating the drum about the evil of apartheid regime in South Africa. May she never be forgotten. May her works live for ever! I pray that young people all over the world may draw strength and inspiration from her works. I published a story here last week that a film (Mama Africa) is being shown in her honor in St Louis Missouri starting this month.  No wonder they called her mama Africa! Thanks Google.com for honoring such a brave spirit and a daughter of the soil. May her soul rest in peace!

No comments: