Monday, February 3, 2014

Things I shouldn't say on social network!


The other day I went to pick up my six year old son at the bus. (I must mention that I do usually have an opportunity to pick him up because of my weird work schedule) His mother usually does the honors, other than helping him with homework and so on. On days when I have a chance to pick the young man up, just to relieve her. I do it with joy. I have made it a point to try and ask him the test question. So how was school? He as usual will tell me about his day. Some times good and at times not so good. Mostly general. I try to be attentive so that I don't not miss anything. In case there is something affecting him at school. That is the only way to find out. I am twenty first century father. Some of these things I do would have been a taboo in my father's time. All I remember my father doing was to read that Report. Buyisa ireport leyo! Akubuyise I report leyo. He would yell. Where is the report? He would stop at nothing when he wanted the report. He was like a broken record until the document is released . Once in a while, he would check the school books. Mandla can you please bring in your books! 


Opening his glasses he would go through them one by one. Why are you having so much red pen? I ballpoint ebomvu leyi hatshi Mandla. You must improve in math! Isamu azivuki la. Kumele utaditshe. That is the closest he did to my schooling work. Most important was the school Report! So as I was driving my son home which hardly a a five minutes drive. I found out that he and his friend had a Super Bow bet. They bet five dollars. The winner would take ten dollars. He put his money on the Denver Broncos while the friend put his five bucks on Seattle Sea Hawks. I listen to the whole story unravel without any judgements and just asking questions to make sure that what. I hearing is correct, knowing that I will let his mom know when we get home. (Every where are there authorities) Mom acts prompt and spells out the laws of the family . To cut the long story short he could have lost five dollars this morning to a wise and discerning young boy at school. Bronco lost big yesterday.
 Morale of the story listen to your child! Most worrying to me was the fact that our family line has a history of gambling. I prefer that he does not inherit that one. Notice that as proud father I did not mention his name in case the story goes viral. Sorry Peyton Manning and the whole Denver team. As a matter of fact when my son was born about six yrs ago. Manning did a great job of fund raising for the Study Vincent children hospital to lower the cost whole was still with the Indianapolis Colts. In a way I can understand why my son is connected to him. My last baby was born after Manning had left Indy. I can tell you the hospital was different. No more free stuff like diapers and baby clothes and blankets. I would put my money on Manning too if I had the guts to bet.

No comments: