Sunday, July 10, 2011

Is it time for a separate MaNdebele State?



Its is amazing how soon change can occur sometimes. In the past twenty years I have witnessed world events that I never thought I would ever happen in my lifetime.  I have seen the South African gain its Independence in 1994. The whole world saw Nelson Mandela becoming the first black leader of a new South Africa. We all saw the end of violence in Kwazulu Natal(ANC and Inkatha freedom party clashes) This were so serious that my home time newspaper had a section  dedicated just for that everyday. The head lines would read. "Ninety nine dead on weekend in ANC/Inkatha clashes over the weekend" Most of the times that was just the lowest number.It would sometimes gat to 900 or more. I rmember delibertaely praying earnestly for that violence to  end. A year later we saw the Rugby World Cup coming to that same country in 1995. Just last year we all unbelievable saw the coming of the World Cup to South Africa. This was a mile stone for the whole continent. I am still pinching myself about that. I am probably over a hundred years by now  judging by by these events.


I should have metioned that as if that was not enough I witnessed Barack Obama taking an oath to become the first black President of United states of America. I was in the crowd among the multitudes that thronged downtown Indianapolis on his last day of campaign back in 2008. I made it a point to be there and witness history in the making. I do not regret taking  my family early in the morning on a cold freezing day! My son who was seventeen months old then, will probably never remember. I made sure he will always feel part of important piece history when he sees pictures some day.


Coming to Zimbabwe and Matabeleland issue, I must say I was little bit younger when Zimbabwe attained its Independence from Britain back in 1980. Radio slogans, and televisions promotions of the "New Zimbabwe" are still fresh in my mind to this day. I must be honest to say that as much as the rest of the country celebrated this historic event, there was not much enthusiasm in our area. I am pretty sure most of that was because the candidate and party that most people were behind, suffered a great loss. The most popular names was Dr Joshua Nkomo.

People sang emotinal about "Nkomo". Song like "uNkomo wethu somlandela, somlandela, somlandela yena uNkomo wethu" Eginiva somlandela!

It was like a religion. "I must confess that I probably knew  more about Nkomo than God himself in those days". I have not seen so much energy and support for an political candidant in my life ever. We walked a whole day 's journey on foot just to witness Nkomo speak at a rally in Maboleni back in 1979. "Abantu babehlanya ngo Nkomo le ZAPU" In all this we were surprised when a new named was announced as a winner and leader of a free Zimbabwe. We began learning about Prime minister RG Mugabe. Cde Mugabe a leader of ZANU PF would take the stand as the leader of the new nation Zimbabwe. Rhodesia would be changed to Zimbabwe!

Soon after  Independence in 1980, I started my very first grade. Many will remember that the school were shut down because of the war of liberation. Although I had witnessed the first hand  activities of the war of liberation as a little child, the whole history behind the struggle would be told to us at school. Most of it really was bits, and pieces. It was not much detailed but enough to drive the point home. While we were still learning about ZAPU /ZANU PF/ ZIPRA/ZANLA/ANC/ and ZANU Ndonga, another  remarkable moment of history unfolded in our very eyes. Without warning.

The infamous "Gukurahaundi" (1982 - 1987) also known as the "dissident era". Times became  tough, people were murdered, maimed raped by the ZANU PF militia. This was unprecedented. The "New Zimbabwe" and its dreams came crumbling down right. Most people who suffered, were people from Matabeland and Midlands. These were the areas  where Mugabe and ZANU did not win any seats. Ndebele speaking  people were in hot soup. We had to learn Shona as quick as we can in order to survive. Lo and behold there was not enough time to do that. The divisions of Zimbabwe emerged fully. At least twenty thousand people died within those two provinces. Some went missing mysteriously to this very day. (To be continued watch this space)

No comments: