Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Zim international match fixing scandal is bad news



As I was watching USA women soccer World Cup team qualify for the finals this morning in Germany against France, I could not help but agree that soccer is still the most beautiful game. Well not because the women were playing, but also the unity that it brings among nations, races and creed. The game of soccer has been used as a vehicle of goodwill around the world. We have seen various international organisations donate to the improve the lives of young people around the world through soccer. United nations in particular donate millions of dollars annually to a lot of causes in the third world countries. Soccer has inspired young people in war torn regions of Congo, Uganda, Angola and so on. It has opened the world to different cultures. The recent World Cup held in South Africa in 2010 was an example of such a showcase. In a world of turmoil and tenacity soccer has transcended politics and religion.

I noticed that before they started the game, the players had to make a statement about racism and unfairness around the world. They raised a big banner with a sign that loudly read, SAY NO TO RACISM! Watching females plays this game at a world cup stage shows how much the world has changed. For a long time this was a game played only by males. In many African countries Zimbabwe included women soccer it not as popular as it is in developed countries. Some countries have obviously made commendable strides, while others have neither resources nor provision for such. Its been said that you can only judge a nation by how they treat their women, and that to me is a best standard one can use to do that.

I must admit that I am not an average soccer fan. In fact I am more of a player than a fan.I love to watch certain players execute their game. Not every player impresses me.I am more interested in their intentions with the ball. Soccer is also a mind game believe it or not. As a soccer referee myself, I have the privilege of seeing best execution and plays. Soccer is huge in United States, over forty million people play soccer every year including adults and kids. That is almost like the rest of South Africa playing soccer!
I was actual impressed by a couple of French players Bompastor among others. They were a good team but lacked the drive to win. I was also amazed that United States did not have a single black player this time around. France had about four or so.I must also mention that Lauren Cheney a local girl is also one the most valuable team United States has.
She graduated from from Ben Davis, a high school not too far from where I live right here in Indiana, and that makes us proud.


The recent news about match fixing scandal in Zimbabwe national team international circles is certainly not good news. Never in the history of the sport have we seen so much greed associated with this game. Shame! This tragic and unfortunate incident will put a bad spell in Zimbabwe's grassroots soccer. Sponsors and well wishers might think twice. I hope those who did this sad and unthinkable act will be brought to book so that the world may continue having faith in the beautiful game.

No comments: