Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Are the cows coming home yet in Zimbabwe?

 
 
 
 
                                          What really was the problem:
 
                                        The rule of law or the old Constitution?
 
 
 
I would like to congratulate the nation of Zimbabwe on the  new Constitution Amhlophe/Makorokoto!  This morning President Mugabe signed the new document into law.  This is obviously no small achievement for a country that almost became ungovernable not to long ago. It would be too early for us to celebrate that the cows are finally coming home yet! If this is a step in the right direction, we are all grateful to the forces, that managed to turned this ship to the right direction. Many people died before seeing  this day. I want to believe that it is a step in the right direction. Time will tell.
 
I know a lot of people who prayed relentlessly that the nation of Zimbabwe would be healed. I do not know if this is the healing that we were praying for, but again. I do not doubt that this not less than a sign in the right direction. We will obviously never know why the process took more than thirteen years since the first referendum of year 2000. I hope politicians will understand that this is more important than their political positions and aspirations. This should be about the wishes of the people and not the other way round. I hear that there are a lot of good things in that new Constitution. I  did not read the entire document, I tried but it was too long  for me. I only read about two thirds of it. I know some people who did not even see the document.  Half a loaf is better than nothing on any day.  (Praising myself)
 
The biggest concern is that we might find ourselves in the same situation as long as the same people are still in the same positions. Its like putting new wine in old wine skins, they will not contain it. Elections are around the corner, that will be a standard of measure for this new Constitution. We pray  that Zimbabweans of all backgrounds, persuasions, color, creed male /female and tribe be treated the same. That nobody should be above the law. Only then will we celebrate as ordinary Zimbabweans. 
 
 
 

No comments: