Wednesday, April 8, 2009

THE DAY I WALKED OUT OF A CHURCH! Part 1

Not too long after having settled here in Indianapolis, I began looking for a home church. Those of us who have migrated from place to place know pretty well the difficulties that comes with looking for a place of worship. I would not have anticipated that it might be difficult since there is a church building every street corner. One of my major problems was my work schedule. I could hardly have a Sunday off. If by chance I had one, I would be so tired having worked hard the previous night on Saturday. I had purposed in my heart to find a comfortable place of worship. Needless to say that it was going to a year without fellowship. I knew the scripture in Hebrews that clearly encourages saints to "gather together even as the day approaches"

Having been a believer for a little bit over ten years back home, I was not going to have a problem with the any style of worship.I told myself that as long as they read from the Bible that is all I needed."Hunger makes bread precious" somebody once said. That is how hungry I was spiritually. In my Christian walk and fellowship, I had experienced various forms of worship. Pentecostal worship, charismatic, and evangelical ,you name it.I have friends from a wide range of christian  persuasion and beliefs. Some believe that one has to hear a voice to be considered saved, while others believe that one is saved through faith and confession.I considered my self an all round christian  who is above petty immature differences. I was open minded and I knew my limits.

Television preachers kept me revived. Sometimes I would watch the Christian Channels the whole day. These cannot compare to one on one fellowship. Almost one year passed without me any progress. Here in America everything is revolves around work. I do not think there is country in the world where people work so hard. Two or three jobs on average. It soon dawned on me that I have to force myself to fellowship come rain, snow or sunshine. I had fallen in love with another church not too far from my area, thanks to local television Christan ministry. This young and vibrant church turned out to be what I needed. Both the Pastor's wife and the Pastor were ministers.

I had gone there for a little over a year when trouble began. It happened that the Lady minister was going to visit South Africa, on another famous minister's invitation. I should have mentioned the fact that this ministry is a black church. In America there are what they call black and white churches. The late Rev Martin Luther king saying is still true today that Sunday morning at eleven o, clock is the "America's most divided hour". One of the reason why I chose a black church was because I did not want to look like I was beggar.I also did not want to look different. In other words I did not want to attract attention to myself at  church.

My experience in Atlanta GA on my three months stay had taught me a lesson.I had attended a white church at the invitation of neighbors. To me church was church white or black, but the minister made me feel uncomfortable.I do not know if he realized it or not. He would make examples of poor and needy people during a sermon and saying, "If you think I am lying ask the brother from Africa right there! It was not a big deal at first time, but as he repeated the same thing. I would naturally feel uncomfortable. That is the reason why I was trying to hide behind my skin this time.

To be continued.Please don't miss part two.

No comments: