Saturday, April 18, 2009

"A FRIGHTENING DREAM"

A FRIGHTENING DREAM.

Yesterday night I had a frightening dream.
This is not the first time I had this dream.
I am tormented each time I have this dream.
It troubles me so much that it awakens me up from my sleep.

When the dream episode begins,
it doesn't usually scare me as such.
In fact it makes me happy.
I mean very happy.
Would you not be happy being among your own people?
Greeting friends and relatives not seen in a decade.

I see myself at home in Bulawayo.
Greeting friends and relatives.
Some of whom are dead and those that still live.

I dream in clear colors,
laughing with aunts and cousins.
Shaking hands with neighbors and friends.
Drinking and breaking bread with my people
I dream walking in familiar grounds.
The same grounds where I grew up on.

Suddenly, my dream is interrupted.
How did I get here?
Do I have any money and documents to go back?
At that point, reality sink in.
Soberness, and panic takes over.
I am in deep trouble.

How in the world did I come to this place?
Yes I was homesick.
But this is a terrible mistake?
How am I ever going go back?
At that point, I am awake and sweating.
"Thank God, I am still here in the States"
Oh it was that dream again.

Mandla Mkwananzi.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i always have the same dream