Tuesday, April 14, 2009

REFLECTING ON MY EASTER .

I had forgotten that Easter holiday is one the major proud pullers in churches other than Christmas. Despite the fact that me and my family arrived in church at least 20 minutes early,we where amazed that the parking lot was already getting full.The church that we attend has two services, one starts at 9am, while the next one starts at 10:45am.We prefer the second service because we enjoy contemporary music, while the other one is mostly traditional.Apart from the preacher, one would think they are in two different churches when comparing the way the two services are conducted.

Its important to mention that this was our first Easter, since we are fairly new in the area.This is one of the two churches we tried out since our arrival in Carmel almost two years ago.There was another one we attended for a couple of months, but my wife did not like it.That meant we had to move.When we visited the Faith Church at the corner of 91st and College, she enjoyed the service, and we have been going there ever since.Any married man will tell you about consequences of arguing with a woman.Indeed my wife made the right choice. This church gave us a warm and friendly welcome.They are the nicest people one can ever find.They have supported us prayerful and materially.

Something about this church that reminds me of my home church in Zimbabwe.Maybe its the way they gracefully handle the house of God, or just their reverence for the word of God.Many times during worship, I take a trip to my own church in New Lobengula Brethren In Christ.I also find some characters strikingly similar. Sometimes the songs they sing have similar tunes to those we sing back home in Ndebele.

This past weekend a lot of people came in as families, as compared to some days in the past. Coincidentally I used to see that a lot at home during such holidays.However there is one major difference that is interesting to me.At home my pastors, or ministers usually come in when the service is already began.They arrive through the back door in a grand entrance like style. They would come in walking solemnly in a orderly fashion.They take the seats, while one of them, heads to the pulpit to greet the church, and officially open the service in a seemingly rehearsed voice. After greeting the congregation the master of ceremony will say,"Let every body say Amen. Here the Ministers sits together with congregation, and leave to the pulpit from the people's side.At home they had a real clergy like style and tone of service command.That is one thing I miss about my home church among other things.

No comments: