Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Memories of growing up in a war situation


Pictured above is a Rhodesian dog species, similar to one my family was forced to leave behind in Sidobe homestead in Victoria Falls around 1978, when we suddenly had to flee the village one morning.

We were awakened by the sound of helicopters and gunfire that unforgettable morning, and me and my mother grandmother, aunt and cousins took to the road leaving everything behind. There was no time take to pack or anything like that, we just had to get out and as we were. To this day I can still feel the sound of gunfire in my stomach when I think about that morning.

My grandfather Jeremiah Ndlovu who was a headman (Sobhuku) refused to leave saying he would rather die in his home. One of my uncles, Sign had just crossed Zambezi to join the liberation forces in Zambia. There were reports of buses burned and people missing. Times were tough and war had taken toll on many young people. I still remember one young boy who was a little bit older than myself. He had just started attending grade one at a local school. Young Bernard was shot and killed by the Ian Smith regime soldiers on his way to school.

I will never forget that dreadful morning as long as I live .We walked miles, and miles just to catch the nearest bus. No buses could access our area at the time. That is why we walked to try and catch them in the neighboring villages. Our best friend, Spot was with us, he had nice black spot on him that set him apart from the other dogs.
he walked with us faithfully, and was only turned away because buses did not accept dogs. Our hearts were broken because he was part of the family. To this day I have not forgotten him, its been over thirty two years at least.

It so happens that this day is the day that many South African students bravely stood up to guns in protest against Afrikaans language in 1976. We will never forget their bravery and little Bernard's courage. Me and my mom still talk about "Spot" whenever we recall the events of that fateful day in 1978.

No comments: