Sunday, August 5, 2007

ATM at the church building!

On my way to Tallahassee, Florida early last month, I passed in Georgia. There, I picked up my aunt, cousin, and two nieces. Crossing all those states from Indiana, it was finally a relief for me to have company, especially after a long and lonely drive. Flying is not my cup of tea, hence I took to the road. Although I had even considered Greyhound bus services, which could have taken 21 hours to get to the sunshine state. Anybody who has ever taken Greyhound knows that its no joke riding the bus, especially such a long distance

I was determined, however, to attend my cousin's wedding. I was going to the wedding come rain, snow or sunshine. Really, when I left home, nothing was in order. At least, nothing balanced, as far as finances were corncered. To make matters worse, it's a Fourth of July weekend, and according to AAA, that is the busiest holiday for traveling. Nothing was going to make me miss the wedding because I had been looking forward to it for months and besides it was time to see other family members, whom I had not seen in a long time. The previous year I had missed Sibusisiwe, my elder cousin's wedding, who is the sister to Thandi. This is the reason why I took to the road. Driving, however, is not a problem to me; despite, the fact that I have not driven very long distances by myself.

To make a long story short I spent the night in Atlanta, a city known as a hub for black people. I lived here before, but for some reason I did not feel at home in ATL, as they call it. My cousin, Matty, has for many years tried to persuade me to come to Georgia. "There is no place like Georgia cuz," she says. And I would always reply, "Georgia is on my mind cuz." But this day G.A. is not on my mind; I am in GA. This city or state, whichever, there is no difference to me. It's known for good and bad at the same time. They say in GA you're more likely to meet single, gay, black people than anywhere else in the United States. That is just a saying I heard.

The good thing here is that there are famous Worldwide Pastors and Bishops all over. I mean, those we see on TV everyday. Its a long way getting out of Atlanta, because that city is at the beginning of the state. Now that the car is full and we all charged up, the journey does not look that long. My aunt Eliza and I are sitting in front. We swap from passenger to driver as she is comfortable driving here. She says it's her backyard. Three girls Maqhawe , Dumile and Nokuthula are passengers. We are happy to catch up on a few family events and issues, since the last time I saw these girls they were pre-teens. Now they are in their late teens.

There is chaos in the car and aunt, who by her age and upbringing, plays the role of being a displinarian. Also a spiritual advisor and she is driving at 5 miles below speed limit. I know for us to catch the wedding ceremony, I will need drive. I am careful not to be too fast to take the driver position, because remember this is her 'own backyard'. Dumile who is a self-confessed christian and an intercessor, keeps handing me gospel music. The other two are not happy with that. They want to play their own rap music and they have no choice because aunt is driving. Poor kids! I am, in this case, the mediator. I try to reach out to both sides.

After we got our breakfast from a McDonalds, I immediatetly assumed the pilot seat. I took over as the judge. I allow Nokuthula and Maqhawe to play their muisc, since I am driving. Provided nothing is vulgar or has indecent language of any kind. My ministry comes in handy here, because I like to feel and hear the opinions of young people who do not like church. Even those that come from very religious families. I took the opportunity to inteview the two young ladies who do not like church. Among the reasons there was one that put me in stitches. I mean I laughed my lungs out. Maqhawe and Nokuthula told me that they went to a church and the very thing that greeted them, at the door of the church, was an ATM machine .

They asked me if that was right, but I could not come up with a clear answer that I am for or aganist. This is how far ministries, churches or evangelists are going in pursit of prospertiy and happiness. If these $$ making machines are preventing our young people from entering the door of the church, then I question the motive behind ATM's in churches. To tell you the truth, most do it for personal gain or profit, especially here in the United States. It's their personal business and kingdoms, they are filthly rich and do not use the $$ for the great Commission as they claim.

No comments: