Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Between the lines of life.

Have you at anytime in your life ever wondered if things that happen to you are fate or design. I know some of us do not believe in luck and on the other side not all believe in faith either. Some of this things are in a grayish category not white not black. Quite often if you are somebody like me you tends to regret some past occasions or experiences .Things you wish that if it were possible one would go back and fix. I think this happens mostly to people who think they are not living to their full potential in life. Day in and day out you cannot help but think you could have done better or made better decisions earlier on in life.

The reason being opportunities knocks once at a man's door. A split of a second could mean life and death rich or poor. There is no right time. Life seems to roll itself like a ball. You sneeze you loose. Who knows where you will be had you gone to the right school. Had you gone the right math , accounts or science. Had you attended that soccer practice the day when there were scouts from out of town. If your mother got you some soccer or jogger shot. If you had taken that job in the city council . If you studied the right material before the final exams that you do not even want to talk about. If only I left the country that year when your cousin quit his job and left. Perhaps  I should have volunteered for that missions summer programme the church would have recognised me.

I should have put my money to the right investments funds. Should I have waited for until demutualisation windfall in November before I removed my investments 1999. Should not have left the country because I missed a chance to be vetted as a war veteran. Some even think I should never have left for Zambia because my peers are now well educated and established. I wish my father did move us from Harare back to Bulawayo. Should I have continued singing with my accapella group I would have gone places now. We seem to think we would have been better had we seized the moment.

However the chance missed we are caught in the past. On the contrary we do not appreciate what we are and what we have. Many a time the grass is greener on the other side. By looking at others who have made it we lose sight of what we have. One is often tempted to measure him or herself by what others have done. "My friends are all married" we say. I am the only one who is poor in my family. Yet in all this we forget that we are not supposed to be the same. Me for example I would not be a doctor even if the only qualification is needed is my thumb. There are things one can do and things that one cannot do. We all have our limitations as well as our abilities and skills .

One funny thing is that we do not realize miracles in our own lives. To give an example for you to be where you are right now you cannot explain how you got there. There many people who could be in your shoes. Some can even volunteer even if it means having their hands cut because if you can read this blog site you are well up by all standards. You are one in tens of millions. Jokes aside there is a tendency to downplay what God has done in our own lives because we think he could have done better. Apostle Paul says " Not many of you were wise but God has as made foolish the wisdom of the world."

Quite frankly you do not know how you passed that test. You do not know how you passed that driving test. How you won that lottery. How that promotion came because you were still knew in that company. Why that manager chose you of all the people? Is it that you earned it ? Is it that you are the smartest or the wisest? Or may be you were born in the right family. Somewhere in between the lines we have unanswered questions. We do not know whether to be grateful or not. At times we are content and at times we are not. It depends on which day we look at our cup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We should realise that yesterday is gone and tomorrow is coming. What we are doing today, determines what we will be tomorrow.

Its ok to recap on the past so we can make corrections but its not a good idea to dwell on that. Appreciate what you are today and move on.

History is good but it must be used as a ladder. We cant undo what happened but we can make a difference in future.