Saturday, June 2, 2012

Does bride price chart exposes cultural differencies in Zim?




Mixed feeling rushed through my stomach as I read the face book status of one of my friends  was not happy about her perceived bride worth  as a young woman since she came from Bulawayo. I had seen this chart several times, but the comments that followed her status forced me to look at it in a new way. Some took serious offence at it in different ways, while some dismissed it as a joke.

For record I must be clear that, I do not know who designed this bride price chart and for what purpose! It will be had to try and pick into his mind to find out his real motive. Given that fact I personally will not judge him, but rather try to make sense of his work through the information given.  I will also use my little knowledge of Zimbabwe cultures in various regions and cities. Above all, wether I agree with author or not, it is best to applaud him/ her for expressing their opinion since we live in a free world.

I will start my analysis with Bulawayo since that is where the concern came from in this case. It so happens that Bulawayo supposedly charges less  than the rest of the country when it comes to bride worth. Matabeleland south and north charge a little bit more than each other but are in the same range.  Byo is still dissapointingly far below in the graph at only $200 while the two sorrounding provinces are at $1,000 and $1,500 respectively. Mutare is at $500. Manicaland at $800. Mashonaland east at $2,800. The next is Midlands which is tied to  Mashonaland central $3,500. Harare is at 4,500. Some cities and provinces makes sense but for some no sense at all. Masvingo rural and urban going as high as  $7.600 and $8,200 respectively.

Its either I wasted my time, or  this author has two points. That people in Masvingo are selling their children while people in Bulawayo are not. I do not know much about Masvingo culture but if that is true, I am amazed that they go far much higher than people all in Mashonaland regions when it comes to bride worth. This is traditionally the opposite!  Mutare is pegged at $500 not too far from Byo. And Manicaland is at $800. Unless the author went all over the country making a survey. This does not make sense at all. He was probably punishing some people in Masvingo who must have over charged him. Case closed!

No comments: