Tuesday, July 2, 2013

My facsination about President Obama's vist to Africa: Check! A must read article!

I  am still fascinated about the President's trip to  the mother land. A writer in Yahoo news put it very well that President Obama was competing with history during this trip. First he went to Senegal. I guess we all know that Senegal had had one of the biggest slave ports in Africa. There is a monument there that stands to this very day. Secondly, he went to South Africa, where he visited Nelson Mandela's cell in Robben Islands. (Now also a historic monument) The column writer also noted that President Obama was matching his predecessor G.W Bush who is famous for being generous to Africa who apparently was also in Zambia. (Hardly 1000 miles away) We will remember that Bush went and visited Senegal back in 2003 making it his first foreign trip. He made one of the most  striking statements  "One of the greatest exoduses of all time is also one the greatest crimes in history" He was standing on that gorge monument port where slaves were packed before being shipped to America. I  should have mentioned that Bush's wife invited Obama's wife to speak at her foundation in Tanzania. Only in Tanzania, can Republicans and Democrats unite in that manner.
 
 He, the writer also noted that Obama is the first black  President of America, and even as Mandela was the first black President of South Africa. Before you say, Eish I am tired of  your politics. I will say what I found more interesting and a little awkward other than that the two meet/were in Tanzania at the same time is the fact that he called the old man Mandela  by his clan name "Madiba" more than once. I am a big fan of both of these guys but "Madiba" made me jealous. It felt like that was some intrusion of some kind. Not to long ago did Mandela's daughter Makaziwe castigate  the world media for  intruding private space. That  should only be reserved for certain people. "Ngokwethu lokho" People like me. That is just my feeling. Its like somebody who is not in my inner circle calling me Gagisa.

 As a matter of fact, I am also called Madiba by those in my inner circles, really that is the source of my jealousy if the truth be told. On a different note seriously, I am happy for Obama' visit to South Africa, and Africa in general. Now that I am an African in America , that brought me joy. I am also also historically a South African. My twin is still down there in SA,  his name is Mandla Mandela. I move to Zimbabwe during the war. It was a political strategy thank to thanks to Abraham Nkiwane, a great ZAPU think tank and master mind. (Check PF' ZAPU's old records about this great man. He is credited for eradicating tribalism by introducing nicknames names in the camps. That is why most people who went to war of liberation had two names) Long story. I trace my roots all the way to Zululand.

 There were  good news that in Zimbabwe yesterday, actually  in Bulawayo to be specific. It is said that residents woke up to a surprise only  to find that Mains street has  been renamed Joshua Nkomo Avenue. Dr Nkomo who was one of Africa's most illustrious leaders and son of the son died 14 years ago on the 1st of July. Zimbabweans and Africa in general are forever indebted to him. One of the most intriguing thing I heard yesterday in face book was that most people do not want the late Dr Joshua Nkomo called "Umdala Wethu" they say that Umdala wethu is 'patronizing him". They just want him called in the old  affectionate way "Umdala" It means the old man! Most will remember that it was people like President Mugabe who added "wethu'  to Umdala. Wethu means ours.  Coming back to President Obama, the guy impressed me immensely when he greeted the crowd in Zulu/Ndebele. He said something like  "Salibonani mzansi" The crowd was electrified. Its a crazy world, I am just keeping it in perspective!

No comments: