Monday, July 15, 2013

Why the Zimmerman's verdict is not just about Trayvon Martin only

There are people that want to fool themselves either because they are out of touch with reality or simply racists. They say that the infamous George Zimmerman verdict was not about race. Well, hear it direct from a black man living in America.  I have said it before in my earlier writings that America is a nation that is still trying to redeem it itself from the wounds of racial injustice. Over four hundreds years of a systematic system that celebrated and boomed in the trade and dehumanizing one group of people. Nobody can begin to imagine the scars black people in America endured for many generations.  Former President George W Bush summed it this  way: One of the greatest exoduses in our time was also one of the greatest crimes in history!  He was speaking on his first trip to Africa back in 2003,  in Senegal standing on one of  the largest slave ports shrines.

Statistics show that there are over  two million black men in America's prisons today. That is almost as big as the whole population of the country of Botswana. It has been proved that black man are targeted by law enforcements organizations. It is also worth noting that while America is a very legal minded country, the people that exert the hand of the law do not think black people are not worth a comma in the system. Yes they can "act and  play of theatre " like a circus, yet the morale part of justice is divorced completely. This defeats the very purpose of justice in the first place. Justice in its purest form is for those who are weak to get equally treatment with those who are strong. Otherwise the strong are able to dominate the weak all  times. I must say that America is not alone in this predicament, we see that in other parts of the world. Money can buy freedom.

I have been in this great country for a little while now, and I have not been spared from racism either. I have  had my license unnecessarily suspended for trivial things. Driving on the road as a black can easily  get one in trouble. There are many instances when I had to  suffer humiliation and injustices even in job markets, just for that  simple reason. I am pretty sure every black man would testify in that regard. I remember one time I was pulled over the side of the road for allegedly swerving while I was driving. The well known racists police crews in Speedway all gathered around me as if I was a criminal with their cruisers. They tested me for alcohol or drugs  related in anyway possible but found nothing. Each time they fail to find something, they would continue to look for something else. It took them over an hour to finish conducting that exercise. They finally let me go after delaying me blessed all that time. Not without issuing me a miscellaneous ticket for swerving.

 As time went on I finally gathered  the courage to fight this type of injustice in court. They assume that every black man has a weapon, illegal drugs or alcohol. The system is obviously not going to change in  long time, however we must never allow this status quo to remain. It was Martin Luther King Jr who said "Injustice anywhere is injustice everywhere" Nelson Mandela who is fighting for this life in a hospital in South Africa, once said "Courage is not the absence of fear, it is when courage overcomes fear that we are brave" Our children do not have to go through the same struggles that we and our forefathers have gone through.  There are millions of Trayvon  Martins . This evil of injustice and racial profiling must cease. A ticking time bomb must be diffused. Just keeping it in perspective. Peace out.

No comments: