Monday, September 24, 2007

The vanishing Zimbabwean pride.

Its amazing how fast one can adjust to the environment they find themselves in. The sooner you adjust the better your life becomes. I have meet a few people here in the Diaspora who have not come to terms with the reality of the life and the culture they live in. The feeling of being in a strange land will never fade away. Recently, while I was driving in the interstate I made a confession to my wife, I said" you what know I think I now know this place more than my own city Bulawayo". This might sound strange to a few unrealistic people most of which are always my company. I said to my wife anytime one leaves a place for a year or less one usually find great changes. So for me to have been away from home seven years and counting, there must been great changes around the neighbourhood.

Let's face it, one way or the other one is forced to adjust to his or her circumstances even without noticing. Adjustment is a fact of life. Most of us who have had friends or relatives coming home from out of the country, must have been whispering amongst ourselves when these folks got home. One could not help notice a few new words. For those from the neighbouring South Africa every other word would be "Mara" or" Cha". Even if one was out of the country for a week or less. I will never forget one of our lady friends who had gone to the States for not more than one calendar year. When she came back home she spoke with a very soft, polished, anglicized American accent. This she would do even if she was speaking Ndebele. These might be extreme cases of adjustments but with time one will surely conform.

Quite often women adjust faster than their male counterparts. Statements like these might make me loose a few women friends, however I just said it in passing. Talking of tribalism have you ever seen a Ndebele woman married to Shona man somewhere in the Capital, "Oh man they act like they are married to a son of a god or a man from another world". Here I will be accused of tribalism, as a matter of fact I have came across that accusation before. Really no offence is intended I just went out of topic. Forgive my analysis. Its just the way sisters behave sometimes, though not all. "For every rule there is an exception", somebody once said.

Well coming to the diaspora most people came here intending to go back home after bettering themselves. This they would have done through hard working and savings to invest in the mother land or by simple education. However not one would have foreseen what we all know today, we find ourselves in vacuum or to put it simple in the middle of nowhere. This really goes to the entire Zimbabwean community here , young and old male or female. Most people are now linking themselves to certain social groups, be it church or even sports. Because people are home sick these groups or clicks are a safe haven from a home away from home. One must fit somewhere! Language, or others social activities make us feel home.

Most weekends me and my homeboys gather to play the spot we know best and that is Soccer. We used to call it Football but now we just say soccer. The reason being here there is American Football. NFL. Unlike at home here Soccer is just for elementary schools, ( primary school) Most Professional soccer players from Africa who come here are forced to join the mainstream workforce. When I came here I never understood The American Football but now I do not only understand it, but also enjoy watching. One would be astonished how Americans are patriotic to this game. They put a world class show for every NFL game. Football stars are richer and popular that Senators or even the President of USA. Its a money spinning league with endorsements of Millions of dollars. Selling of shirts, something which I strongly feel if adopted back home could benefit our struggling soccer stars.

This is the game that made OJ Simpson a household name even though they now hate the mere mention of his name. The man who was acquitted of the murders of his ex wife Nicole , and Ron Goldman her boyfriend. Last week I observed with great sadness as the American media crucify him in an attempted robbery case in Las Vegas Nevada. I would have thought that in a democratic society like this a man is innocent until proven guilty. The press seemed to have a sinister agenda here. Simpson a larger than life former football star who holds unbroken records in the sport, first caught the international sport lite way back in 1994. I remember clearly how the Chronicle and some other Zimbabwean newspapers used to follow the episodes of his trial." The Trial of the century" . The case divided the entire America and the civilized world into two. Black or white. To this day they are still bitter about this black man who escaped justice, they refer to him as a "monster". Like I always say justice like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Or maybe they think justice delayed is justice denied.

For us Mkhayas we hook up and chat about different issues, here back home and European Soccer we watch on the Satellite dish networks. It is interesting to note that some people who never even play soccer at home have now significantly improved because of the need for company. Amazulu as the Zim Indy team is known are currently in the league. A Social league which they defending Champions from last season. Among the veteran of this team are Mdawini who is also the player coach and Chief executive , Nsimbi, Biya, Bango, Proffesor, Nkinko, Zi, Thiso and Steffi. I wish the guys goodluck this fall.

My friend Zanda is also playing well. I knew this man long back when he used to be one of the delivery guys for Coca cola in and around Bulawayo. While most of the guys are my Luveve Boys from back in the day. Emakhosi le Nzawanazi like Morre. I should not forget Zobha, a man no doubt the best goalie second to myself. Amazulu are hoping to win the Zimexpo trophy nextyear, capitalising on the home advantage. Organisers of the annually Zimexpo are serious enterprenuers. They cash in on unsuspecting homesick Zimbabweans in the diaspora.








No comments: